Why This Session? (4 hours)
Managing the Small Project Environment: Many of your staff members perform project-related work. Unfortunately, they don’t usually manage that work as a project. To them, the work is just something else they must complete by the end of the month (or by today!). The result: the majority of your projects are unmanaged! This is typical of the small project environment in today’s organization.
Small project work requires a unique set of traits, including the ability to react quickly, and apply broader skills. The work requires the ability to juggle multiple concurrent “priority ones”. This Manager’s Overview identifies the issues facing those who specialize in the “need it yesterday” small project. In addition to sharing the universal secrets of success with small projects, we also explain the strengths of our unique Small Project Guide.
Managing the Small Project Environment Objectives
- Define small projects, and the unique issues facing them.
- Discuss an approach to managing small projects that improves consistency, quality and responsiveness. All, while producing a documentation trail for each project.
- Identify the minimum techniques needed for successful small project management. Discuss the most important management information that you should receive from your staff.
- Describe a prioritization process that keeps staff focused on the projects with greatest business benefit. Apply approaches that allow more efficient use of staff, while maximizing customer satisfaction.
- Describe the role the effective Manager plays in the small project environment.
- Identify an action plan for maximizing the strengths of a more consistent small project approach.
This session is for first and second-level Managers of staff who work on small projects. A small project typically requires 360 hours of effort or less, and completes within 3 months. Typically, small projects have staff of one or more people who also have other high priority efforts. Customers of small projects also benefit greatly from this overview.